Saturday, October 10, 2009

How to Get Back Into AdSense – My Account Reinstated!

I received one of the worst emails a blogger can get: Google AdSense Account Disabled. To my horror, I opened this email to see that Google was accusing me of click fraud. My account was disabled, my earnings were being refunded to advertisers, and no further payments were coming my way. But thanks to a simple process, my account was reinstated. It took five days, but that’s better than being permanently banned.

If your account is ever disabled, here’s what you should do to get it back.

1. Don’t panic. It’s not the end of the world. You have a chance of getting AdSense reinstated. Even if you don’t, you can try Yahoo ads or many other ways to monetize your blog. Panicking won’t solve anything.

2. Investigate the allegations. Information is power. You need to know if a friend, family member, or employee (i.e. someone under your control) clicked your ads. Did you ask someone to click? Did you click by accident? Gather the facts, even if they reveal actual invalid clicks.

3. Appeal to Google. There is a simple form to fill out to appeal this decision. Be honest, truthful, and tell Google what happened. If you have no knowledge of invalid clicks, say that. If someone accidentally clicked, explain that. If a visitor maliciously clicked repeatedly, tell Google the story. You’ve got nothing to lose at this point.

4. Wait. The appeal form says it can take 48 hours to process your appeal. I filed mine on a Thursday evening. On the following Monday, I got an email saying that they were considering the information I submitted. The reinstatement email did not come until Tuesday.


5. If successful, rejoice! If this worked (as it did for me), you’re back up and running. It will take Google up to 48 hours to start displaying ads again, so be patient. You might lose a week of earnings, but that’s nothing in the long run.

6. Appeal again. If you are still banned (or Google doesn’t respond in a week or so), appeal again. Be polite, professional, and honest. Dig back through your information and see if you missed something that might be pertinent. Is there someone else on your network (maybe at work) who would show up as the same IP, but who you don’t have control over? Google claims that a second appeal is futile, but it worked for Stas Bekman.

7. Appeal another time. I’d give the appellate process 3 solid tries before giving up on it. Definitely remain professional and provide as much information as you can.

8. Email people. I’ve read that you can find Google VP’s and AdSense executives via a Google search for “google staff.” You might try emailing a few of these people directly. I’m not sure what success you’ll have, but it might be worth a try.

If all that doesn’t work, I’m not sure what you should do. I’d be happy to talk with anyone who has appealed unsuccessfully. Maybe we can brainstorm and come up with a new idea for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment